Wednesday 23 October 2013

Thanks but no thanks


Having Iain with me in China attacked lots of attentions. Everyone went to him and tried to sell him something. In another words people tried to rip him off all the time! 
I haven't had this problem coz I have an angry face. There was only one person approached me so far. She asked me to go to her clinic to lose weight. I told her I don't need to lose weight I Chinese. I may sounds nice to her but in my head I have killed her ten times! 
Anyway, the word that he used all the time in this trip was " bu yong" it means no. I think he used it more often than thank you. But when people heard this big Australian feller said "bu yong" they just cracked up laughing and let him go. Some people stopped for a few seconds, it's like "what? What did he just said?" Then they start laughing and said "your Chinese is very good".
I wonder how many tourists bother to say Chinese to them. It's a simple word but it's so powerful. The more you say no in English to them the more they after you. But if you speak their language and say no they will just let you go easy. 
I remembered a pair of mother and daughter team trying to sell us tourists stuffs on the street, we said no to the mother first then the daughter came after and the mother said to her "oh I can't believe he spoke Chinese to me" 

No comments:

Post a Comment